08:01 am - So where've I been lately? Glad you asked!
Let's see, what's happened in the last couple weeks... Well, first I went to Las Vegas, that was nice. Did a bunch of work, got the few hundred dollars I was expecting to be payed for the work there, so that's just Peachy
Time for a techy moment. Skip this paragraph if tech bores. Been doing some systems programming work, tackling a problem I've not seen even mentioned in any documents on-line. It's a problem that used to have lots
of solutions, back in the modem-only days before DSL existed. How to combine several connections with their own IP addresses into one 'usable' connection to NAT behind. I think I've got it working, testing with a combination of a Cellphone dialup, external modem dialup, a two-way satellite link, and an sDSL link. Basically, ALL the hardware we have for dealing with connections that we could hook up at the office, we did, all to one of our router boxen, and I got to hammer on it till all the links get used concurrently. Still doesn't do anything special when one link gets flooded and one's free, but it's a start.
Next thing, I had to restrain someone that ran for a knife after threatening to kill themselves or someone else. This one's a long story, longer than above. If it bores you, skip to the last paragraph, which is the other 'good things' that've happened lately.
There's a lady, who will remain unnamed, call her Princess Prettypants
for now, as a nod towards a show I like a lot, Digimon. Several years ago, she managed to get one half of a gay couple, say Adam West
, to think she would be good for the other half, say Boy Wonder
, so Adam
helped get the resistant half
to let her
join the pair-which-was-now-a-triad. This caused a lot of grief, and the triad quickly fractured off to a pair, with Adam
leaving. The last of the "pair", Boy Wonder
was the one that owned the house everyone was living in. He got fed up with the minor squabbles Princesss Prettypants
caused, and ended up forcing her out. She's obsessive compulsive in the highest degree, textbook Class A here, folks. What she did will show this: Take 20 sleeping pills, down with bottle of blackberry wine, followed by bottle of mead. Good taste in drinks, possibly lethal combination though.
Needless to say, 9-1-1 was called, She
was taken away, and spent 3 weeks in the looney bin. In the end, she got moved to Texas, found a good $25k-a-year-in-texas job, was raising exotic animals, the works. Good, situation solved, over and done with, right?
Last January in 2001 (bet you were wondering when I'd get back to this point in time, right?) she started calling, to speak with Boy Wonder
again. And again. And again
. And AGAIN
. She was losing her job or some-such, and wanted to sell her house and move back out to California and get some of the Dot-Com-Bubble under her skirt before it popped. It was still reasonably healthy at this point, so it seemed reasonable. She put her house on the market, bought a good work-truck, and got Boy Wonder
to agree to come help her move to her father's place in San Diego.
Low and behond, upon arrival at said location, with her in tow, it's found there's physically no room for her to put anything
at all. Zero, zilch, nadda.Can I store some of my stuff in your garage, Boy Wonder?Sure, ma'am. Can't leave someone with nowhere to put your stuff.
Yeah, you guessed it, she ended up following her stuff to visit one day. That was in April, 2001. She hasn't left the house except to get groceries since, all her stuff packed into a corner of the den, though the corner has been slowly growing when nobody was looking, an Ikea drawer set here, another suitcase there.
On Christmas, she tried to kill herself, waving the knife around and everything before it was taken away or such. I wasn't here, so I don't know for sure.
While I was here this time, she did it again. Final scenario went like this:
- She reaches for knife drawer (I know it is, I used to live here, and got one from there to carve my meal up last night, so I knew several were there too.)
- I kick the drawer shut
- She wrenches it open so it wedges from tilting down, off the 'rail' but help up by the frame pressing against the cut-out in the counter.
- I kick the drawer again, this time up to bounce it off her hand as she pulls something metal out of it.
- I grab both her arms around the elbows, lock my wrists together.
- She tries to threaten me with martial arts, (I'm a yellow to green belt in Judo, Thai Kickboxing, Karate, and Capoeira.)
- She tries to brace herself to throw me with a hip-toss, slower than I was as a white belt at the same time, obviously having to think about how to do it and no longer in practice at all.
- I counter, jumping across to the opposite side of the hip as she starts to lift my weight, so she's totally unbalanced now.
- We fall.
- I keep a hold on her elbows, and scissor one of her legs between two of mine at the ankle, pinning it flexed up against her thigh. Also gives me a convenient point to shift my weight around with, so I can keep it over her hips to avoid crushing the wind out of her.
- I stay that way while she struggles until she's winded and the police show up. At that point I release her, and notice I was wearing shorts and struggling on a linoleum floor. Needless to say, my knees are a mess. Lotsa Ice, painkillers, and anti-inflamitories.
- The police get a full verbal rebort from the house owner of what happened, and a full verbal report from myself about what I did.
- She's handcuffed, and taken to the looney bin again.
Unfortunately, the looney bin's full, and she's not a big enough threat yet to lock her up for weeks, only a couple days. She's now back here, with her eviction notice in hand, and has about 30 days to move out before we simply call the Marshalls, and they escort her and all her stuff off the property. Still, this whole idiocy is ending. I'm helping her find an apartment in fact. Looks like she found one, $450 a month for a one-bedroom.
No, I don't hold a grudge. I restrained her because she wasn't logical, and I didn't want to risk anyone getting cut. The police commended me for only restraining her, got my contact information, and left with her.
She wants to take me to court over Assault and Battery charges, hopefully not until after Further Confusion, but who cares? Things'll end up okay.
Well, final paragraph. I used a bit of my money to buy a Kyro 2 64MB video card
to upgrade my Kyro 1 64MB video card. Why such a minor upgrade? Simple, it was $70 to get a video card that's twice as fast. So it was a minor, fun little perk that I ran across at a local computer show and snarfled up.1 comment